The Organized Mom “Simplify Life For You and Baby, One Step At A Time”
by Stacey Crew, Founder of the GOPACK® Method
Review by Yvonnie Ametin
I’ve read quiet a few baby resource books through the years. I was never interested in the vast resources of organizing for Mommy books, because with three little ones I was more concerned with the details of our day to day activities and duties. Also the words being organized and multiple toddlers don’t altogether go hand-in-hand. I always felt getting things done was more important than an organized household … then, I picked up Stacey Crew’s The Organized Mom.
Stacey Crew is the founder of the GoPack ® Method and wow was I impressed by her logic. Her no nonsense room by room approach, and how being organized is important to getting the most of your real estate investment is something a busy working mom appreciates, can relate to, and implement.
Crew writes, “When I started writing this book, my daughters were two and almost five. And now, my little one just turned nine and my oldest is in sixth grade. What I know for sure is that time passes quickly and the more organized you are, the more you are able to enjoy the precious and fleeting time you have with your baby in many ways, I feel like I blinked and the time was gone…So why do you need this book? Because it is filled with simple, smart ideas you can apply right now…So much of parenthood is dealing with the unexpected events in any given day – this book will help you manage everything else.”
My favorite lesson in The Organized Mom has taught me to be very aware of how much unorganized, and underutilized space costs. What do I mean? Let me explain. Before real estate plummeted the cost of real estate on Key West was significant. If you live in any major city the cost of real estate or rent can be significant.
In 2003 my husband was single and he bought a two bedroom condo for $349,000 (this was at the height of real estate where (on the low end) the average cost of a single family home in the Keys was $500,000 and this was probably a fixer upper.)
Condo Square Footage: 850 square feet;
Condo Cost: $349,000.00
Cost of Square Footage per Square Food $410.58
Condo has three closets totaling = 40 sqft (8×2=16 sqft; 7×2, = 14 sqft; 5×2 = 10 sqft)
Cost of Closet Space per Square Foot = $16,423.20
I work with numbers and this hit home. I thought to myself I’ve got boxes of stuff, things, clothes that I haven’t seen in months do I really need to have that stuff in my valuable closet space? I systematically applied Crew’s instructions and cleaned out the closets to utilize the space efficiently. I went through kitchen cabinets, and any form of storage space-making the most of the space…in my mind, the closet space was worth almost $20,000 (not just $16,423.20) if I also included unorganized kitchen cabinets under counter tops, unorganized dresser drawers, and file cabinet space.
I no longer wanted just stuff in my house. Everything that came into our home needed to have a space and a place.
If you rent an apartment or a home do the math…it may not be in the $1000s…but your cluttered, closet, floor, unusable storage space may actually be costing half your rent.
Another valuable lesson I took from The Organized Mom, is that you ask a friend to help you organize. I resisted this because I just didn’t want to bother anyone, but thank goodness I have a girlfriend who just wanted to help. Having a friend that’s not emotionally attached to your personal things is a great help to getting organized.
The Organized Mom by Stacey Crew is a great resource for any mom, or non-mom to get it together. I only highlighted two of the many, many valuable points made throughout this book. The book is enlightening, witty, and enjoyable. Crew shares mom expert, tips, ideas, and concepts to help us all get organized.
If you are looking for best articles about green Christmas ideas, this might be a big help for you. You can have a glance of how and what this article all about by reading a little summary of it. Here are the 10 best articles about green Christmas idea that you might looking for:
1. http://eartheasy.com/give_sustainchristmas.htm – Enjoy some ideas to help celebrate Christmas while caring for the earth. This article gives you tips on how to have a Green Christmas. Give a little effort on how you can reduce environmental impact if the holiday season.
2. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/green-christmas-ideas.html – Why not celebrate this year’s Christmas in a different manner from the past year? The 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) were discussed here in this article. Follow these 3 R’s and have yourself an eco-friendly Christmas by implementing these Green Christmas ideas.
3. http://earthday2012.com/green-christmas-2011-how-to-have-a-earth-friendly-holiday/ – Want to have Eco-Christmas to celebrate the holidays? Here are Green Christmas Ideas you shouldn’t miss! Instead of buying expensive and multiple gifts that are often unwanted and unused, better try an unconventional gift idea. Saving money is saving the planet too!
4. http://www.greenfootsteps.com/green-christmas-ideas.html – This article gives you ideas on Green Christmas without sacrificing your budget. It also gives fun and enjoyment not for just the little ones but for adults as well.
5. http://www.sierraclub.org/tips/holidays.aspx – If you want to make your holidays greener, try to read this article giving you list of ideas with videos from Sierra Club’s Owen Bailey. Also, in this site, you can explore, enjoy and protect the planet as well.
6. http://sandrawilliams.suite101.com/green_christmas_ideas-a35807 – Celebrating the holidays with family and friends are a whole lot of fun especially when you spend time together, creating homemade gifts and recycling old items to create new memories. Want to know how? Read this article to get Green Christmas Ideas.
7. http://www.theenvironmentalblog.org/2011/11/ideas-for-a-green-christmas/ – Christmas time? It’s the most wonderful time to be green. In this article, the writer gives 5 simple creative examples of how to gift green, decorate, and dispose green. Try to check it now!
8. http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/press_releases/dreaming_of_a_green_christ_15112005.html -
If you are dreaming for a Green Christmas, check this article and get ideas for presents, parties and decorations which won’t damaged the earth. Enjoy the 20 tips from Friends of the Earth and try it one-by-one!
9. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1220_041220_green_christmas.html – Yes, Christmas is the most awaited event of the year yet environmentalists call it a worst nightmare. If you want to have Green Christmas, here are tips for an Eco-Friendly Holiday. Read it now!
10. http://michelle-carchrae.suite101.com/green-christmas-ideas-a34150 – Recycling, handcrafting, buying locally and giving experiences as gifts are all easy and fun ways to have an environmentally friendly holiday. This article talks about the green Christmas ideas, and explains how 3 R’s indeed a great help for the environment.
Key West Baby’s Special Black Friday deal starts Monday, November 21, 2011 and ends Friday, November 25, 2011 at midnight. Onesies, and Toddler T’s with the “Running Baby” logo are on sale this week for only $9.99. This is a sale you do not want to wait until Friday to shop.
Key West is a small community with a large community of runners. Runners from all over the world travel to the Florida Keys to participate in races that range from 5K to a 100 Miles. Yes, you read correctly, the 100 mile race.
I would attend races with my children to wait for my husband, a runner, at the finish line. I was always surprised that there we no souvenir race t-shirts for children. Being a mother with three children and a husband that runs, I realized there is a need for infant and child size shirts that represent the awesome sport of running in the beautiful Florida Keys. Key West baby launched “Running Baby” during the 2nd Annual Keys100 race.
Local parents, and visiting tourists can buy souvenir “Running Baby” Onesies and T-shirts made from organic cotton.
Running Baby is the first in the collection of “Sport Baby” by Key West Baby. We are excited to announce that in 2012 we will have “Paddleboard Baby,” “Skateboard Baby,” “Surf Baby,” and more.
The natural cotton fibers of 100% organic cotton is incredibly soft. When your little toddler puts this t-shirt on he, or she is gonna love it. Running Baby’s smile is infectious. Don’t wait to buy this item. This organic toddler-t will sell fast for this incredible price.
Want to know what our clothes look like on? Watch this video. Our Key West Baby onesies and toddler t’s are a delight to wear. Whether your little one is fishing off your dock or playing in the sand it’s the perfect outfit for any baby or toddler. We now have youth sizes.
The buzz is in the air. Yes, Key West Baby is having an event, Saturday, July 16th from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, 3229 Flagler Avenue, Unit 203. For the past few months The Red Chandelier has been a great friend and has been selling Key West Baby pieces in her store. THANK YOU EVA!
Stop by and have a look at the Key West Baby collection and buy something for that special baby or toddler in your life. Due to popular demand we’ve added a variety of organic colors t-shirts for toddlers and youth and we would love to show them off.
We are gearing up for Fall/Winter 2011 and are excited about what’s coming in our 2012 collection.
I found some great green mommy blogs and thought I’d share. Though I say I don’t have time to surf…when I do get to surfing…I’m always glad I took the few minutes to do so. As a busy mom finding entertaining, and informative blogs are always a plus. I’m always looking out for green and mommy blogs.
Key West Baby offers quality organic clothing for infants and toddlers. Skip the purchase of a souvenir bar, or restaurant t-shirt for your special baby. Resist the urge to buy anything less than a designer label. Buy something special, and unique that the Key West Baby clothing line will provide. You won’t be disappointed.
If you are a local, you are a Key West Baby. If you are visiting, “It’s Key West BABY!”
“Squeals of delight are expressed by children who wear our Key West Baby Collection!”
I found greenpeople.org last year when I was researching organic things. I thought it was a great resource then, and I think it’s an even greater resource now, because so many more businesses have joined the organization to promote their green businesses. Key West Baby is listed. It’s a friendly, inexpensive place to list your green business. I’ve copied and pasted content from their web site here to share.
Founded in 1998 GreenPeople.org is an online directory of eco-friendly businesses, organizations events. How cool is that?
GreenPeople considers itself a “community service.”
GreenPeople.org Mission Statement:
- To create a more compassionate world.
- To practice honesty in business.
- To help like-minded people meet, network, support and empower each other to help us reach our potential.
- To make a fair profit.
- To influence the socio-economic and political agenda calling for safety, fairness, justice, environmental protection, health care for all, accurate product labeling, and the removal corporate control from our society.
Spend sometime looking at the site you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find “like” stores all in one place instead of scrambling, and searching on the internet.